Thomann is a massive European-based guitar and musical instruments retailer. But is Thomann USA any good? Here’s what you need to know…
Gear. We’re all addicted to it in one way or another. And like any good addict, we need a good, reliable supplier. In the US, we have Guitar Center and Sweet Water – two of the most popular options.
But what about Thomann USA? It’s the brains behind the ultra-cheap / ultra-awesome Harley benton brand of guitars and associated paraphernalia. But is its US-based store any good?
In this post, you’ll find out everything you need to know about Thomann USA, including:
- How long it takes for orders to be delivered
- The extent of the warranty offers on purchased goods
- Types of product sold by Thomann USA, outside of guitars
Savvy? Let’s dig in…
Does Thomann Ship to The US?
Thomann ships to the USA. This is a significant advantage for musicians in the United States looking to get their hands on premium guitars and other musical equipment from Thomann’s extensive collection. Here are some key points regarding the shipping process:
- Shipping Costs: The cost of shipping is a crucial factor that could influence your purchasing decision. Thomann has a dedicated webpage that lists the shipping costs and average delivery times for various countries, making it easier for you to calculate the total cost of your order.
- Delivery Times: The anticipation that builds up from the moment you place an order until it reaches your doorstep is understandable. The delivery time varies, but having a rough estimate can help manage your expectations. The average delivery time is listed on Thomann’s shipping information page for different countries.
- Maximum Weight for Standard Shipping: For the United States, the maximum weight for standard shipping is up to 31 kg. This is ample for ordering guitars and other musical equipment.
My personal experience: I bought a Harley Benton TE-52 back in 2022. The shipping fee was $78, in addition to the price of the guitar. I placed the order on a Wednesday afternoon and received it the following Tuesday, so it took less than a week for delivery.
The guitar arrived in excellent condition and I was and continue to be very happy with my purchase.
Having said that, I do know of people that have had to wait weeks and, in some cases, months for their orders to arrive. As of right now, delivery times to the USA seem a bit like a crapshoot – sometimes you luck out, other times you gotta wait.
Where is Thomann USA Located?
Thomann operates out of Europe, with its largest warehouse situated there. While it doesn’t have a physical storefront in the USA, its robust online presence ensures that customers in the United States can browse and order products seamlessly.
The online platform is essentially what makes Thomann USA accessible to American customers, and as shopping experiences go it is pretty damn good. I’ve bought a few Harley Benton guitars and a couple of MIDI keyboards from Thomann USA. The ordering and general shopping experience is always A+.
The Thomann Reverb Store
If you want free shipping on your Thomann orders, the easiest way to do it is via Thomann’s official Reverb channel. The downside? Prices are higher than they are through its official website and the selection is no where near the numbers you get on its proper site.
Nevertheless, if you know what you specifically want going through its Reverb channel could be an excellent option because the difference in price is far less than the shipping charges you’ll pay importing it from Europe into the USA.
Navigating the Waters of Customs and Additional Charges
While Thomann facilitates a smooth sailing transaction process, it’s essential to be aware of possible customs duties and/or handling fees that might be imposed upon the arrival of your order in the USA.
It’s advisable to check the customs regulations in your area to avoid any unexpected charges. And, believe me, this stuff is NOT simple.
Here’s some things to keep in mind when importing products (even guitars or MINI controllers) into the USA:
- 🛍️ Handling logistics for clearing goods through U.S. Customs is economical but can be complicated.
- 🚢 If not instructed, your goods might remain at the initial port, causing delays.
- 📞 U.S. Customs doesn’t notify importers about cargo arrivals; shippers or their agents should.
- 📅 Goods unclaimed within 15 days are warehoused, leading to extra charges; after six months, they might be auctioned.
- 💰 The importer is responsible for any duty on imports; duty estimates from sellers might not always be accurate.
- 📦 Payment method for duty depends on how goods were shipped: postal, courier, or freight.
- 👤 Personal use imports have fewer regulations compared to commercial use, but there are exceptions.
- 📜 Formal entries require extensive paperwork, especially for goods over $2,500 or specific textile shipments.
Thomann’s Warranty and Money-Back Guarantee
Purchasing from Thomann USA comes with the assurance of a 3-Year Thomann Warranty and a 30-Days Money-Back guarantee which is very good, obviously.
- 3-Year Thomann Warranty: This extended warranty is a testament to the quality and durability of the products Thomann offers. It’s a significant advantage that provides peace of mind for your investment in a premium guitar or other musical equipment.
- 30-Days Money-Back Guarantee: This feature allows you a substantial period to test out your new gear and ensure it meets your expectations. If for any reason you’re not satisfied, the return process is straightforward.
The caveat here, however, is that if something is wrong with your order, you’re now dealing with a company in Europe. And to return the item you’ll have to go through ALL the importing steps outlined above, just in reverse.
What Else Does Thomann USA Sell?
Thomann’s catalog extends beyond guitars. From audio equipment to a variety of musical instruments, the spectrum of products available is vast. It basically sells everything a modern musician will ever need.
But unlike most retailers of its size, Thomann has its Harley Benton brand which means you can pick up things like amps, guitars, and FX units for considerably less. Harley Benton is basically a budget brand but, as anyone that has used its guitars will tell you, the quality of outstanding.
Dive Into the World of Harley Benton
Thomann is the brain behind the ultra-affordable yet high-quality Harley Benton brand of guitars. Explore the range of Harley Benton guitars suited for different genres, be it metal or a classic rock sound. Delve deeper into the world of Harley Benton through these insightful reviews:
- Harley Benton Guitars Guide
- 3 Best Harley Benton Guitars for Metal
- Best Harley Benton Telecaster
- Harley Benton Deluxe Series Guitars Review
Should You Buy From Thomann USA?
As noted mid-way through this post: I’ve bought a few things from Thomann over the years and, to date, I have not had any issues. My TE-52 took less than a week to ship, and a MIDI controller I bought was around the same timeframe.
Did I get lucky? Potentially. There’s plenty of reports online about people waiting weeks or months for their order to arrive. I guess it all comes down to your own personal tolerance for this kind of thing.
Me? I have a few guitars – OK, I have six, but I do run a guitar site, so cut me some slack – so I wasn’t that fussed if my $150 Harley Benton TE-52 took a month or two to arrive.
It was so cheap, I kind of expected it to take a month or two to arrive. But I got lucky and it ended up being less than a week.
My advice? If you’re in the same position as me, meaning you already have a guitar, go ahead and place an order. But if it’s for your kid’s birthday next week, I’d probably look elsewhere just to be on the safe side of things. Shipping times from Europe are not an exact science.
You can check out Thomann’s full catalogue of products here.
RichardRichard has been playing guitar for over a decade and is a huge fan of metal, doom, sludge, and rock music in general – though mostly metal. Having played in bands and worked in studios since the early 2000s, Richard is a massive music production geek, a fan of minimalist recording techniques, and he really likes old-school guitars.
Does It Matter Where Guitars Are Made In 2022? Major Brands Explained!
In the past, where guitars are made was a point of contention for most buyers. But this controversial subject has seen some blurred lines over the last decade.
GAMMA G50 Amplifier Review: A Stunning Pedal Platform For Gigging
The Gamma G50 is the newly rebranded Acoustic brand's attempt to make a "clean canvas" style amp. So how does this work, and how does it sound?