What guitar does Tony Iommi use? Here’s everything you need to about the guitar behind Black Sabbath’s iconic sound…
What Guitar Does Tony Iommi Use?
Tony Iommi is best known as the founding guitarist of the pioneering heavy metal band Black Sabbath. Iommi is widely regarded as one of the most influential guitarists in rock and metal history, known for his dark, heavy riffs and innovative solos.
The SG – now available in many iterations – is a rock-solid guitar for metal and any other form of rock music. Used by everyone from Angus Young to Chino Moreno of the Deftones, the SG is a killer axe that delivers spades of tone.
Don’t have Gibson money but still wanna rock that SG tone? No problem. Epiphone makes a range of affordable SG models, ranging from entry-level models right up to gig / studio-ready options.
Check out the details below…
Where To Buy?
Here’s all the best options for buying a Gibson SG or – if you’re on a stricter budget – the best current alternative (according to our in-house guitar tech / guru, Christopher Horten):
What Makes The Gibson SG So Special?
- 🌟 Gibson SG’s Unique Appeal: Distinctive looks and a design that meets specific player needs.
- 🎸 Tony Iommi’s Necessity: The SG’s lighter, contoured body was crucial after his accident, making it easier to play with injured fingers.
- 🏋️ Lightweight Champion: The SG’s weight reduction is a blessing for players who need to ease the strain on their fretting hand.
- 🚀 Speed-Friendly Neck: A neck designed for speed and comfort, perfect for Iommi’s rapid-fire riffing.
- 🔇 Humbucker Pickups: Designed to eliminate noise, these pickups deliver a clean, rich sound essential for heavy metal’s distorted tones.
- 💔 Beyond Functionality: Iommi’s bond with his SG is deep, highlighted by his long-term use of his 1964 SG Special.
- 🎶 Timeless Sound & Style: The 1964 SG Special remains a classic, still rocking stages and studios after decades.
The Gibson SG stands out in the guitar world, not just for its distinctive looks but for its unique design that caters to players with specific needs.
Take the legendary Tony Iommi, for instance. His story with the SG is not just about preference, but necessity.
After a tragic industrial accident that cost him the tips of two fingers, Iommi faced a daunting challenge in playing the guitar. The SG, with its thinner, sculpted body, was a game-changer for him. It’s lighter, reducing the strain on his fretting hand, which is crucial for someone adapting to such an injury.
But it’s not just the weight that makes the SG a perfect match for Iommi. The design of the neck plays a pivotal role. Known for its comfortable and fast neck, the SG complements Iommi’s heavy and swift playing style.
The damn thing was made for shredding, with a neck that invites quick finger movements, making it easier for Iommi to create his signature riffs.
The dual humbucker pickups are another key feature. They’re designed to cancel out interference and noise, providing a cleaner, richer sound.
For a genre like heavy metal, where distortion is a staple, these pickups are a powerhouse, offering the crunch and sustain that Iommi’s music demands.
Iommi’s relationship with the SG goes beyond functionality. It’s personal. Over the years, he’s played various SG models, including custom ones adorned with cross inlays that reflect his iconic status in the music world.
Yet, it’s his 1964 SG Special that remains his steadfast companion, both on stage and in the studio. And it looks and sounds as good today as it did more than 50 years ago.
- 🌟 Gibson SG's Unique Appeal: Distinctive looks and a design that meets specific player needs.
- 🎸 Tony Iommi's Necessity: The SG's lighter, contoured body was crucial after his accident, making it easier to play with injured fingers.
- 🏋️ Lightweight Champion: The SG's weight reduction is a blessing for players who need to ease the strain on their fretting hand.
- 🚀 Speed-Friendly Neck: A neck designed for speed and comfort, perfect for Iommi's rapid-fire riffing.
- 🔇 Humbucker Pickups: Designed to eliminate noise, these pickups deliver a clean, rich sound essential for heavy metal's distorted tones.